11 finalists were selected coming from various universities by DAAD Research Ambassadors Dr Rumana Rana from Khulna University and Dr M. Nuruzzaman Khan from University of Dhaka. They received a training from Dr Bhaskar Das of KIIT – Technology Business Incubator before they pitched at the Lab.
Finalists at Falling Walls Lab Bangladesh 2023
Shameea Sultana, a student of Institute of Leather Engineering and Technology, University of Dhaka was announced the winner of Falling Walls Lab Bangladesh 2023 by an eminent jury consisting of academicians and scientists. She presented her work on ‘Breaking the Wall of Plastic Dependency‘. The first runner up was Rifat Bin Sultan of Independent University Bangladesh pitching on ‘Breaking the Wall of Harvesting Solar Energy‘ while the second runner up as well as the Audience Choice position was taken by Samia Sayeti Binte Ali of North South University for her pitch on ‘Breaking the Wall of Leather Hopes.
Shameea Sultana with Dr Katja Lasch (Director DAAD Regional Office New Delhi), Aditi Gosavi (Senior Advisor – Communication, DAAD) and Mahmudul Hasan Suman (DAAD Regional Officer, Bangladesh).
The winner, Shameea Sultana, will go on a DAAD-funded trip to Berlin to participate in the grand finale of Falling Walls Lab where 100 young researchers and entrepreneurs from the world over will pitch and attend the Falling Walls Conference.
Finalists and members of the jury
The 11 finalists were
- Bushra Rahman, Independent University Bangladesh
- Lamia Sobhan Lubna, University of Dhaka
- Md Bayzid Hassan, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
- Md.Aman Ul Azam Khan, BGMEA University of Fashion and Technology
- Nayeem Uddin Emon, Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, University of Chittagong
- Rifat Bin Sultan, Independent University, Bangladesh
- Samia Sayeti Binte Ali, North South University
- Samira Sifat Swarna, Entrepreneur from North South University
- Shameea Sultana, Institute of Leather Engineering and Technology, University of Dhaka
- Sherin Akter, Graduate from Independent University Bangladesh
- Victor Madubueze, BRAC University
Finalists, jury and some of the audience