Eleven German universities and university associations will in future be allowed to bear the coveted title of "Excellence University" - and receive more state funding as a result. After a long selection process, a Bonn-based committee from science and politics selected Germany's best universities.
In the final round there were 19 applicants: a total of 17 individual universities and two alliances of several universities.
The jury, which includes international experts as well as the ministers responsible for education and research from the federal and state governments, selected the following universities and alliances:
- RWTH University Aachen
- The Berlin Association comprising Free University, Humboldt University and the Technical University of Berlin
- University of Bonn
- Technical University of Dresden
- University of Hamburg
- University of Heidelberg
- Karlsruhe Institute for Technology
- University of Constance
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Technical University of Munich
- Eberhard Karls University in Tübingen
Funding as an "Excellence University" will begin on November 1st of this year and will run for at least seven years.
- General (37)